Hmm! You recently Installed WordPress and now thinking about installing a WordPress plugin. Then here I will share all 4 methods to install a WordPress plugin.
Probably now you are thinking that, if one method can solve my query then what is the need of 4 ways. Actually I believe that, if you are going to learn something, then understand all the possibilities. In order in the future, one method get fails, just switch to another one.
One more thing, due to this mindset you will be a pro-WordPress blogger. Because here you will learn how to install a plugin from WordPress dashboard, manually via Cpanel, and using FTP.
Ok! it is a fact, whenever someone starts a blog at self- hosted WordPress then the first question comes to mind, that how to install a WordPress plugin? so without wasting a time let’s learn.
Method 1: How To Install WordPress Plugins From Plugin Search (WP dashboard)
This is the easiest and best way to install WordPress plugins. But in this way, you can install only those plugins which are available in WordPress.org plugins repository. There are 55,000+ free plugins present in the official WordPress repository. So, to download and install a WordPress plugin follow the below step.
1. Login to your WordPress dashboard. Then on the left side just click on Plugins >> Add New option.
2. A new screen will open look like the below screenshot. There on the right side, you will find search plugins… box, Here enter some keywords you are willing to install a plugin for specific requirements or features.
3. All the related plugins will be listed. So first of all, click on Install Now and then Activate it.
Method 2: How To Upload & Install WordPress Plugin From Zip Via Dashboard
Sometimes you may not find the required plugin in the WordPress repository and you would like to purchase and use a premium plugin from another website.
Apart from this, there are tons of free open source plugins on GitHub or other websites that we can use. Or if we develop a plugin by ourselves and want to use it for testing purpose. So in such a situation how can we install the plugin in WordPress.
The first thing is you need to do is, get or download zip file from other website. Then You have to upload those plugins to WordPress dashboard first and then install and activate. If you also have any downloaded plugins in your computer, then let’s learn how to install such plugins.
1. First of all visit on plugin >> add new plugin.
2. Then click on Upload Plugin.
3. Now on the next screen click on choose file to select zip file from your local computer and then click on Install Now.
4. Finally, click on activate button to make it activated.
Method 3: How To Install WordPress Plugin Via FTP
Some times it gets error while installing plugin from WordPress dashboard so you can do same task using FTP.
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is used to send themes, plugins and other websites files from our computer to the server (host) and the software we use to establish FTP connections and to transfer files, called as FTP client.
In my case, personally I use CyberDuck but you can also try FileZilla which is very popular FTP client tool.
1. First of all download and install FileZilla or Cyberduck free software.
2. Download a plugin into your computer you want to upload with FTP tool. The downloaded plugin will be in .zip format so extract it using WinRar or any other software you use.
3. Now open Filezilla/Cyberduck software and enter your FTP login details to establish an FTP connection.
4. Visit the plugin folder. Generally most hosting provider’s plugin directory located at public_html >> wp-content >> plugins.
5. Now here upload the extracted folder of the plugin.
6. Finally, go tho the WordPress dashboard. Navigate to Plugins >> Installed Plugins options, there you will see recently uploaded plugin in deactivate mode. So just Activate it.
Method 4: How To Install WordPress plugins in CPanel
1. First, log in to Cpanel. To access the website’s files and folder, Navigate to File Manager option.
2. As I told you all plugins are stored into public_html >> wp-content >> plugins folder so visit first and then click on the Upload link.
3. Now click on the Select File and upload the folder of a plugin or .zip file from your local computer.
4. If you have directly uploaded the zip file then you will have to extract it from here. Follow screenshot.
5. Remember that you can install the plugin from CPanel but to make it activate you have to click on activate from WordPress dashboard by visit plugin >> installed plugin.
Conclusion – Here we go! Today we learned how can you install a WordPress plugin by different 4 methods. Tell me which one was your favorite? By the way, I hope you liked the guide that I shared but still if you any doubt or question you can ask below through the comment.